Today I installed gallery3. I was looking for an easy way to share some pictures on my webserver and found this tool on the internet. The installation was not as easy as expected:
- download the .zip file.
- extract it to a location in your apache’s DocumentRoot
- ‘chown’ the whole folder to apache:apache or whatever user:group your apache runs under.
- create a folder var in your gallery3 folder
- write a .conf file for your virtual host and point to the gallery3 folder.
- Open the new URL in your webserver and be surprised that you see nothing
problem was a missing switch in my php.ini => short_open_tag = On and a missing php extension mbstring. Editing the php.ini in /etc and a
yum install -y php-mbstringdid the job.
- Now I was able to open the webpage in my browser and could configure my user credentials and my database connection.
- when I tried to change data in the advanced settings I saw an error message, regarding the missing json extension in php
I googled for help and somebody adviced to update php, by using
yum update "*php*"and guess what? Nothing happened. So I tried to skip over to the next step, by executing
pecl install json, just to be disappointed again. What I saw was Cannot find config.m4.. Mhhh what next? After googling again and reading loads of the ‘I wannabe a geek’ comments like “have you tried to uninstall bla bla bla” or “try to install …..” I found the solution. Just download the json tar file from here, unpack it to a folder, move into that folder and execute
- The next problem was a missing programm ffmpeg that is responsible for the video upload.
- Now that everything has been installed it should work…. but wait… I didn’t. I created a new album and could see it, but wasn’t able to upload pictures into it, because the flash uploader showed an error #2038 (some IO crap). I increased the upload_max_filesize to 1024M, but no success.
- Really stressed and disappointed I then decided to install the ‘server add’ module, copied my files to the shared location and imported the with ‘server add’ and it worked.